The web development world is a dynamic and constantly changing one. Trends come and go, but 2016 is looking extremely promising for web developers. Here are our thoughts on some of the top web development trends we’ve seen so far this year, and a couple predictions as well:
- Advanced Platforms Equal New Responsive Design. Exciting new technologies are emerging this year, so look for long-lasting changes as they’re developed. Responsive design will no longer be limited to mobile. Other devices such as wearable gadgets – think the Apple watch and Oculus Rift – are some of the most-talked about technologies that are expected to gain in popularity.
- The Internet of Things (IoT) Will Have a Huge Impact. TechNavio, a tech-focused research firm, released a report on the Global Internet of Things Market, predicting that it was expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 31.72 percent from 2014-2019. IoT enables the exchange of data by linking smart objects to the internet, so watch for web developers to come up with new solutions to help users communicate with and control their everyday gadgets.
- Real-time Everything. Look for the rise of apps that work in real time. Live streaming will also become more important in the social media arena, with apps like Periscope gaining prominence.
- Bots Will Become Standard UX. Bots are popping up in a wide range of tools and apps, including Facebook and WeChat, and proponents promise they’ll make your life easier.
- Full-screen Navigation Design. Ever try to fill out a form on your mobile device? If you answered yes, you know how difficult it can be. Full-screen navigation lets users tap on the screen to make the form jump to a full-screen size, which makes filling out the form much easier.
- Advertising Blocking. Ad blockers represent a big loss of revenue for big and small companies alike. In 2016, look for new techniques that help minimize the effects of ad blocking. Designers will also work on innovative ways of getting users to view advertisements.
This year’s web development trends and predictions are all about making the website development process easier and simpler. If the above trends are any indication, developers are looking to make 2016 the year that brought positive change to the web development world.