One of the drawbacks of digital marketing is the fact that many marketers seek instant results. They want to build up their brand and become a leader within their industry as soon as possible. This urgency can betray the long-term success that digital marketing should be used for, resulting in mistakes that end up hurting your revenue targets. The following are five common digital marketing mistakes that you’ll want to avoid making this year:
- Not knowing who your audience is – Knowing your audience is essential to any marketing strategy. If you don’t know who your audience is, then you won’t be able to determine what their needs are or how you can meet those needs. How exactly do you identify your target audience? By doing a little research. You’ll not only need to do market research, but you’ll also want to scope out the audience of your direct competitors as well as use customer data to develop a buyer persona, which is a fictionalized representation of your customer base. A buyer persona typically includes average age, gender, employment position, income level, hobbies and more.
- Not having clear goals – It can be easy to get swept away with all of the new marketing tools and strategies that are revealed by marketing gurus every year. While these tools and strategies may be effective, they’re not going to be very helpful if you haven’t established clear short-term and long-term goals. Marketing goals help provide milestones for your efforts and provide a reason to use certain tools and strategies.
- Not using metrics – Digital marketing doesn’t provide a clear ROI. It’s one of the reasons that you need to establish marketing goals before you begin. To see how your digital marketing strategy is performing, you need to use analytics tools to track certain metrics. Metrics are the only way that you can judge your marketing strategy, and they allow you to adjust your tactics to help ensure that you meet your goals.
- Not using social effectively – Don’t just use social media because everyone else is. Yes, social media is a great way to reach your audience if you know what you’re doing. However, simply setting up a Facebook business page and posting links to your blog isn’t an effective use of social media. You need to figure out which social channels your target audience is using, and then you need to develop a complete social media strategy. This includes when and what to post, how to encourage engagement, how to obtain more likes and shares, and much more.
- Failing to evolve with your audience – Your audience evolves depending on how their needs change. You need to continually track your engagement with them to find out what they are responding to, and then adjust your strategy accordingly.
Digital marketing can be a very powerful way to grow your business – but if you don’t know what you’re doing, you could end up wasting money, time and effort. So be sure to avoid these five digital marketing mistakes.